Updated Friday, December 30, 2022 at 3pm
Find the perfect things to do in H-Town with our Weekend Guide for Thursday, January 5 to Sunday, January 8, 2023.
Add an Event, Offer or Attraction
Have an event, attraction, or offering that we missed? Let us know at [email protected] or order a Boosted Calendar Listing and we’ll add it within one business day (usually sooner). Contact us at [email protected] to learn more.
Things to Do
All Weekend Long
at Hobby Center
The 1990s rom-com movie gets a Broadway makeover in this feel-good show based on a book from the film’s legendary director Garry Marshall.
$35 and up | Showtimes vary
- Magical Winter Lights at Houston Raceway | Thursday to Saturday | Final Weekend – Catch the final days of the spectacular holiday attraction decked out in more than 6 million lights across seven dazzling themed displays, held in Baytown’s Houston Raceway Park. $25; $17 for ages 3 to 12 (additional fees for circus and carnival admissions). Times vary.
- The Sale at Bayou City Events Center | Friday & Saturday – Shop ’til you drop from some of Houston’s best boutiques, all under one roof. Look for retailers like Cheeky Vintage, Clorinda Antinori, Paris Texas Apparel Co., Tres Chic and more. Proceeds from the event benefit pediatric cancer research at M.D. Anderson. $30 and up. 9am to 4pm.
- The Riot presents Cipha Sounds at Rudyard’s Pub | Friday & Saturday – On back-to-back nights, the comic featured on Chappelle’s Show, TruTV’s Laff Tracks and as an MTV VJ takes the upstairs stage at Rudz for four shows of laughter. $17 and up. 7pm and 9pm.
- Houston Symphony presents The Music of Elton John & Billy Joel at Jones Hall | Friday to Sunday – The orchestra welcomes singer-pianist Michael Cavanaugh, who will perform hits like “Your Song,” “New York State of Mind” and others with the symphony. $39 and up. Times vary.
- 6th Annual Fade to Black Reading Series at MATCH | Friday to Sunday – Returning for its sixth year, this festival celebrates new plays by Black playwrights, where you can be among the first to hear these new works. $25 in advance, $35 at the door. Times vary.
- Comedian Bill Bellamy at Houston Improv | Friday to Sunday – The Marq-E comedy venue welcomes actor and stand-up performer Bill Bellamy, who in recent years has starred in the Netflix miniseries Self Made, and featured in 2021’s A Dark Foe, opposite Selma Blair. Tickets are sold by the table; $60 for 2, and up. Times vary.
Woodland Heights, Breweries & More Destinations
January 5, 2023
UH vs. SMU
at Fertitta Center
Thursday, January 5
The No. 3 Houston Cougars take on the SMU Mustangs from Dallas in conference play.
$15 and up | 6pm
- More Great Things to Do All Weekend Long – Some of the biggest things to do are happening all weekend long. Scroll up and see our list, or browse Houston Experiences to save on museum passes, tours, and more.
January 6, 2023
- Office Hours at the Ion | FREE – Entrepreneurs, researchers and other like-minded professionals are welcome at this meet up that fosters networking and other opportunities. It’s also a chance to learn about one of Houston’s most energetic incubator and co-working spaces. Registration requested. 10am to 11:30am.
- Blood Drive at First Colony Mall | FREE – What better way to start the new year than with giving the gift of life? The Sugar Land mall hosts a blood drive in partnership with 100.3 The bull and Gulf Coast Regional Blood Centers. 2:30pm to 6pm.
- Farmers Market in Downtown Richmond | No Cover – Stop by for fresh produce and more, all grown or created locally, at this Friday farmers market in Downtown Richmond, southwest of Houston. 3pm to 7pm.
- HSPVA Dance presents Solstice at Discovery Green | FREE – Dance students from the Kinder High School for the Performing & Visual Arts offer this original composition inspired by the Solstice installation at Discovery Green. 6:30pm to 7:30pm.
Date Night Bike Ride
at 3rd Ward Tours
Friday, January 6
Kick off a Friday night bike ride through the streets of Houston, meeting at 3rd Ward Tours on Emancipation, and heading out to cruise the city, listen to tunes and stop for food and drinks at City Cellars HTX in the Museum District.
$9.20 and up | 7pm to 10pm
If It Don’t Feel Like ’90s R&B
at House of Blues
Friday, January 6
Vibe to music from Brandy, Boys 2 Men, Monica and more at this ’90s R&B party at House of Blues.
$25 and up | 9pm to 2am
- More Great Things to Do All Weekend Long – Some of the biggest things to do in Houston are happening all weekend long. Scroll up to see our list, or browse Houston Experiences to save on museum passes, tours, and more.
Things to Do on Saturday, January 7 & Sunday, January 8, 2023.
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Planner email and receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every week. Click here to sign up.
Add Your Event
Don’t see your event? Order a Boosted Calendar Listing and we’ll add it within one business day. Or contact our advertising team to learn about larger campaigns, including bulk and discount options.
Leave a Reply