Updated Thursday, January 5 at 3pm
Find the perfect things to do in H-Town with our Weekend Guide for Thursday, January 12 to MLK Day, Monday, January 16, 2023.
Add an Event, Offer or Attraction
Have an event, attraction, or offering that we missed? Let us know at [email protected] or order a Boosted Calendar Listing and we’ll add it within one business day (usually sooner). Contact us at [email protected] to learn more.
Things to Do
All Weekend Long
- Mezclada Dance Company presents All of the Above at MATCH | Thursday & Friday – Take in a new dance work from Mezclada Dance Company, which features a range of dance techniques from breakdancing and contemporary to salsa, hip-hop and more, all set to tunes that include funk and Latin jazz, salsa and classical melodies. $25. 7:30pm.
- Classical Theatre Company presents School for Scandal at the DeLuxe Theater | Thursday to Sunday – Six actors portray 16 characters in this great comedy from the classic canon, where gossip flies faster than truth. $25. Showtimes vary.
- Houston Salsa Congress at Westin Houston Memorial City | Thursday to Sunday – This annual salsa expo offers multiple days of live music, social dancing, workshops and lessons, competitions, and more. Single night passes start at $25; full event passes are $275. Times vary.
- Dream Big WonderWeek at Children’s Museum Houston | Thursday to Sunday – Beginning on Tuesday, January 10, this annual week of observation at the Children’s Museum celebrates the life and advocacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Expect a week of inspiring activities, craft stations, and more. 10am to 6pm.
- Houston Marathon Health & Fitness Expo at George R. Brown Convention Center | Friday & Saturday | No Cover – The Chevron Marathon festivities include this two-day expo in Downtown, where runners can pick up packets and explore fitness vendors, shop race merch, sample products and learn about healthy ways. Times vary.
- The Riot Comedy Club presents Adrienne Iapalucci at Rudyard’s Pub | Friday & Saturday – The comic known for spots on Netflix’s Degenerates, This Week at the Comedy Cellar, and The Late Show with David Letterman, as well as co-host of the weekly podcast Vadge with fellow comic Sarah Tollemache, Adrienne Iapalucci performs three sets across back-to-back nights. $17 and up. 7pm and 9pm.
Comedian Jay Pharaoh
at Houston Improv
Friday to Sunday
Known for his hilarious impressions and six-season run as cast member on Saturday Night Live, Jay Pharoah works the room for five shows this weekend.
$60 for 2, and up | Times vary
- International Gem & Jewelry Show at NRG Center | Friday to Sunday – Wholesalers, manufacturers and designers come under one roof for a weekend of public shopping of booth after booth of quality gemstones, beads, jewelry and much more. $6 and up. Times vary.
- Autograph Show of Texas at Westin Galleria | Friday to Sunday – Major names in the world of sports entertainment headline this autograph show, including Mike Tyson, Karl Malone, William Shatner, Gary Payton, Charlie Sheen, Hulk Hogan, Allen Iverson, and many others. Ticket prices vary by signing. Times vary.
- Houston Symphony presents Riots & Scandals Festival at Jones Hall | Friday to Sunday – This two-week festival offers concerts featuring beloved masterpieces. The first week, running from Friday, January 13 to Sunday, January 15, brings Bartok’s Miraculous Mandarin paired with Rachmaninoff’s third piano concerto. And in the second and final week, running from Friday, January 20 to Sunday, January 22, Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring and Tchaikovsky’s piano concerto feature. $30 and up. Showtimes vary.
- New Jack City Live at Hobby Center | Friday to Sunday – Set to the soundtrack of some of the most classic songs from the film, New Jack City Live will give audiences an opportunity to experience classical theater storytelling of the ’90s movie live on stage. $60 and up. Showtimes vary.
- Comedian Jay Pharaoh at Houston Improv | Friday to Sunday – Known for his hilarious impressions and six-season run as cast member on Saturday Night Live, Jay Pharoah works the room for five shows across this weekend. Tickets are sold by the table; $60 for 2, and up. Times vary.
- 70th Annual Charity Cat Show at Hilton Houston North | Saturday & Sunday – Feline fanatics rejoice at the Houston Cat Club’s 70th Annual Charity Cat Show, where cats abound are judged on their smarts and agility throughout the two-day show. Make sure to check out the cat costume contests, shop vendors at the Meow Mall, and stop by cat rescue groups if you’re in search of your own feline friend. $15; $10 for ages 5 to 12; free for ages 4 and under. Saturday 9am to 5pm; Sunday 9am to 4pm.
- The Oak Ridge Boys in Concert at the Grand 1894 Opera House | Saturday & Sunday – With a career that stretches back to the 1940s, the country gospel vocal quartet arrives in Galveston for back-to-back days of their decades-spanning song catalog. $37 and up. Saturday 7:30pm; Sunday 3pm.
Mocktails, Day Trips & More Destinations
- Best Places for Mocktails in Houston – Start the year with sober celebrations at our 11 picks of Houston bars and restaurants serving up alcohol-free cocktails for January 2023.
- Day Trips & Things to Do Outside Houston – Discover more than 500 things to do in Houston’s surrounding communities and beyond, including Brazosport, Clear Lake, Beaumont, Galveston, Sugar Land, the Woodlands and more.
- Top 27 Breweries in Greater Houston – Explore what’s on tap at 27 of the city’s best breweries and taprooms, from the inner loop to Galveston, Conroe and beyond.
- Limited Time Museum Exhibits & Art Installations Around Greater Houston | Daily | Many FREE – Explore the many striking, stunning, and diverse exhibits exploring history, science, art, culture, and creativity around the Greater Houston metro area.
January 12, 2023
Woman, the Spirit of the Universe
at Holocaust Museum Houston
Thursday, January 12
Inspired by 23 American heroines that tirelessly fought for equality, artist Carolyn Marks Johnson has created bronze-cast collars that each represent the storied figures in America’s fight to establish women’s rights.
FREE | 6pm to 7:30pm
- More Great Things to Do All Weekend Long – Some of the biggest things to do are happening all weekend long. Scroll up and see our list, or browse Houston Experiences to save on museum passes, tours, and more.
January 13, 2023
Sketch ‘Em All: A Pokemon Art Show
at Hardy & Nance Studios
Friday, January 13
Houston artists pay homage to the expansive kingdom of Pokemon in the return of this art series at Hardy & Nance, after a pandemic hiatus.
FREE | 7pm to 11pm
- Sketch ‘Em All: A Pokemon Art Show at Hardy & Nance Studios | FREE – Houston artists pay homage to the expansive kingdom of Pokemon in the return of this art series at Hardy & Nance, after a pandemic hiatus. Kids and dogs are welcome at this event that also will be serving Eureka Heights brews, wine and cocktails. 7pm to 11pm.
- Bach Hotel in Concert at Last Concert Cafe – The rock trio brings tunes of the sixties and seventies to the Last Concert stage. Small Talk and Reybeth support. $14 and up. 7pm to 11:30pm.
- Houston Grand Opera presents The Marriage of Figaro at Wortham Center – The company’s take on this sparkling Mozart comedy sets the opera in 1960s Francoist Spain, awash in colors and costumes that evoke the Moroccan influence on Muslim Spain. Figaro, a servant to the Count Almaviva is set to marry the countess’ maid, Susanna and then, hilarity ensues. $20 and up. Showtimes vary.
- DaCamera presents Parker Quartet at Hobby Center – The Grammy Award–winning quartet makes an appearance at Hobby Center, bringing with them a series of works that include selections from Dvořák’s beloved “Cypresses,” plus Mozart and Bartók. $37.50 and up. 7:30pm.
Be Our Guest: Disney DJ Night
at Rise Rooftop
Friday, January 13
The popular Midtown rooftop hosts a night of DJs spinning ’90s and 2000s throwback classics from the Disney universe.
$19 | 9pm
- More Great Things to Do All Weekend Long – Some of the biggest things to do in Houston are happening all weekend long. Scroll up to see our list, or browse Houston Experiences to save on museum passes, tours, and more.
Things to Do on Saturday, January 14; Sunday, January 15 & Monday, January 16, 2023.
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Planner email and receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every week. Click here to sign up.
Add Your Event
Don’t see your event? Order a Boosted Calendar Listing and we’ll add it within one business day. Or contact our advertising team to learn about larger campaigns, including bulk and discount options.
Leave a Reply